Michelle Strombeck's Blog

Friday, March 17, 2006

Under the Tuscan Sun

I had an email conversation with a friend today. In her email to me she worried about turning 35, not ever getting married, etc. Pretty much common worries amongst the singles crowd.

So, that got me to thinking about a movie I saw again recently...Under the Tuscan Sun. I love that movie because to me it's about moving beyond your fears and doing something you've always dreamed of doing, and in the process learning more about yourself.

I've always wanted to move to Spain, and find myself thinking about it more and more. I want to learn Spanish, and am basically too lazy to learn it here in the United States. I feel like I need to be totally submersed in the culture, where I have no choice. At the same time, I think I'm probably romantizing the whole idea. Can I really move there for 6 months, learn some Spanish, and enjoy myself? I'd love to have an "Under the Tuscan Sun" experience. You know...Move there, find a quaint little place to live in, learn the language, make some great friends, and then of course, meet the love of my life. All of this while I'm spending my days soaking in the culture and shopping for flowers at the local market. :)

I know. I know. Life rarely turns out like the movies. But what is realistic? Lord willing, I am going to do this someday, but what is realistic to expect? Any ideas?

M